Dive Service Providers
Buddy Dive Bonaire
Captain Don’s Habitat
Divi Flamingo Beach Resort
Ultimate Dive Travel
Facts and Figures
- Location: 12 degrees 10 minutes north latitude and 68 degrees 17 minutes west longitude; 50 miles (80 km) north of Venezuela and 86 miles (138 km) east of Aruba. Bonaire is very close to the equator and is out of the normal hurricane belt for the Caribbean.
- Time: Atlantic Standard Time, which is one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time.
- Climate: Average air temperature is 84 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius). The constant 15 mph easterly trade wind provides nice breezes. Diving is mainly done on the leeward side of the island. Low annual rainfall results in sunny days most of the year.
- Population: 16,500.
- Water Temperature: Average water temperature is 78-84 degrees Fahrenheit (25-29 degrees Celsius).
- Money: The U.S. dollar is the national currency. Credit cards are widely accepted.
- Communication: Telephones and cellphone services are readily available. Many hotels have Internet service and there are several Internet cafes on the island.
- Electricity: 127/220 volts, 50 cycles; North American-style outlets.
- Language: Dutch is the official language, but Papiamentu, English and Spanish are widely used.
- Entry Requirements: U.S. citizens need a valid passport.
- Driving: Driving is on the left. There are several car rental companies at the airport as well as many resorts.
- Medical: Bonaire has a hospital and recompression chamber.
- Getting There: Several major airlines offer regular service.
- Dress: Casual dress is the norm. Topless and/or nude sunbathing is prohibited.
- Government: The Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- For More Information:
Tourism Corporation Bonaire