Mexico’s Riviera Maya: From Ancient Mystery to Modern Adventure
Dive Service Providers
Facts and Figures
- Location: The Riviera Maya area is along Mexico’s eastern coast of the Yucatan Peninsula in the state of Quintana Roo. It extends from Punta Brava (18 miles/30 km south of Cancun) for 75 miles/120 km south to Punta Allen.
- Time: Central Standard Time. Daylight-saving time is not observed.
- Climate: The average annual temperature ranges from 77°F (25°C) to 86°F (30°C). Cenote water temperature is around 76°F (24°C) year-round. Offshore water temperatures range from 78°F (26°C) in January to 84°F (29°C) in August. May through November is the rainy season.
- Money: The Mexican Peso (MXP) is the national currency, but the U.S. dollar is accepted almost everywhere. As of August 2015, the exchange rate with the U.S. dollar is $1US=16.77MXP. Credit cards are widely accepted except in smaller establishments.
- Electricity: 110V/60 Hz with North American-style outlets.
- Language: Spanish is the official language and Mayan is the local language, but English, French and German are spoken at the larger hotels.
- Measurements: Speed limits are posted in kilometers. Dive operators generally use both feet/psi and meters/bars when communicating dive data.
- Entry Requirements: U.S. citizens need proper identification (i.e., valid passport, certified birth certificate and photo I.D., or voter registration card and photo I.D.).
- Driving: Rental cars and taxis are available. Driving is on the right.
- Medical: A recompression chamber is located in Playa del Carmen. Air evacuation is available from the Cancun airport or the small airport in Playa del Carmen.
- Getting There: Major air carriers and charters offer direct services to Cancun.
- Dress: Casual dress is the norm for the Riviera Maya. Cover-ups are required when leaving the beach areas. Some restaurants have dress codes that prohibit sandals and require men to wear long pants.
- Diving: There are over 20 dive operators in the Riviera Maya
- For More Information: http://rivieramaya.com/en/