Red, White and Blue With a Caribbean View: Exploring the U.S. Virgin Island of St. Croix
Dive Service Providers
Anchor Dive Center
Bubble Makers Inc.
Cane Bay Dive Shop
Caribbean Sea Adventures
N2 the Blue
St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures
Sweet Bottom Dive Center
Facts and Figures
- Location: St. Croix is about 70 miles (112 km) south of St. Thomas. The Virgin Islands are situated in the Lesser Antilles on the eastern reaches of the Caribbean Sea. Plotted on a map, they are 40-70 miles (64-112 km) east of Puerto Rico and roughly 1,100 miles (1,760 km) southeast of Miami.
- Language: English. Spanish is widely spoken.
- Time: St. Croix is on Atlantic Standard Time, which is one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time except during daylight-saving time.
- Climate: Temperatures range from an average of 77 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius) in the winter to 82 F (28 C) in summer months. The average water temperature is around 82 F (29 C) in the summer and only a few degrees cooler in the winter.
- Travel: U.S. citizens don’t need a passport to travel from the United States to St. Croix. However, a birth certificate or voter registration card plus photo identification or even a valid passport is needed for citizenship verification upon departure.
- Medical: A recompression chamber is at the hospital on St. Thomas.
- Currency: The U.S. dollar. Credit cards are widely accepted. There isn’t any sales tax, but 10 percent is levied on hotel rooms.
- Duty-free Shopping: U.S. citizens, including children, can return to the U.S. mainland with up to $1,600 worth of duty-free merchandise purchased in the USVI and brought to the U.S. mainland. This allowance is good every 30 days.
- Electricity: Electrical current is 110 volts, 60 cycles, same as on the U.S. mainland.
- Getting There: Several major air carriers have regularly scheduled flights to St. Croix.
- Tourism Bureau Website: