Dive Service Providers
Facts and Figures: Bikini Atoll
- Climate: Average air temperature is 77-86 degrees Fahrenheit (25-30 degrees Celsius). Water temperature averages 80-85 F (26-29 C). Visibility ranges from 50 to more than 100 feet (15 to 30-plus m). Rain mostly comes in short heavy showers. Winds can blow steady for several days at a time.
- Power: 110 volt, 60Hz.
- Money: U.S. dollar. Credit cards and traveler’s checks accepted in major hotels on Majuro. Only traveler’s checks and cash accepted on Bikini Atoll. Any additional fees (overweight, change of flights) with Air Marshall Islands are cash only.
- Tipping: Dive operation accepts tips much like live-aboard destinations but with cash or traveler’s checks only.
- Time: GMT/UTC + 12 hours.
- Getting There: This is half the “fun.” All flights from the United States converge at Honolulu. One Continental flight daily to Majuro then Air Marshall Islands flight to Bikini. Plan on two full days of travel time.
- Entry Requirements: U.S. passport.
- Dive Season: Bikini’s dive season runs from March through November. Diving is not available December through February. Space is limited. Reservations are required.
- General Health: Drink bottled water in Majuro or any other Marshall Islands.
Water on Bikini is desalinated and fine to drink.
- Recompression Chamber: The closest is at the U.S. Army base on Kwajalein Island.